Wednesday, December 6, 2006

All Cranked Up

I was listening to the Podictionary weekly podcast today and was enchanted to hear about Anne Newport Royall, a historical figure previously unknown to me. I was enraged to hear how in-laws robbed Anne of her inheritance, and I loved the story about her catching a U.S. president skinny dipping and sitting on his clothes until he agreed to talk with her about her reqest for a pension. Then when I heard she was convicted of being a "common scold" in a verbal scuffle with church members, I was sold on the woman.

Don't care if she was a crank -- I plan to look for a biography of her, as she clearly had gumption. (Just found some online quotes where she ferociously advocates for separation of church and state. Hoo-rah -- I think I love her!)

And as for gumption, I've got it too. I've been thinking of starting a blog where I can be just as fractious as I wanna be. I won't be annoyed all the time, of course; who is? But now I've got a corner of the web I can go sit in when I'm cranky.

Join me, won't you?

1 comment:

The Common Scold said...

Alas, my blog, started in 2004, is The Common Scold. (http://www.thecommonscold.com)

I realize that GMTA -- and there's little i can do about it -- hopefully, we will be distinct enough from each other so our readers won't get confused.

sigh, Monica Bay commonscold AT alm.com